An Ounce of Prevention Is Good for the Soul (and Wallet)
Unique ID: 58ac2cf4-d64d-43d4-b995-6d1905f157e3
Did you know less than 20 percent of Americans visit their doctor for an annual wellness exam or physical each year? I cringe every time I hear this stat. Have you thought about this from a cost perspective? I want to share some eye-opening stats so it’ll inspire you to encourage employees to seek out their doctor each year for a check-up.
- 70% – Percentage of our total healthcare spend in America that’s derived from preventable, chronic conditions – that’s 70 percent of potentially avoidable costs
- $13,700 – Average annual cost of an individual diagnosed with diabetes according to the American Diabetes Association
- $1,400 – Additional annual medical cost an obese person incurs compared to someone who’s not obese according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- $1,141 – Direct medical cost for an individual with hypertension according to the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey
- $450 – Additional annual medical cost for an individual between the ages of 45-60 who doesn’t see their primary care physician for their annual wellness exam and preventive screenings according to BlueCross BlueShield
- 11.5 – Average number of days an individual with depression suffers from reduced productivity in a three month period; the same individual misses an average of 4.8 workdays altogether according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Want to know the beauty of this? We can impact all of these numbers! These are all conditions that, with the right preventive care and treatment, can be identified early and potentially avoided.
What can you do? Educate your employees. Direct them to your carrier’s resources on how to find a provider, share the stats above , incentivize them to see their doctor, cover wellness benefits at 100% through your medical plan and make it personal to employees – the more they do for themselves now, the longer they’ll be around for their families.
- Podcast: Employers Looking to Personalize Wellness Programs in 2015
- Dazed and Confused
- Wellness ROI and Beyond Webinar Recording
- What’s Wellness Got To Do With It?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR