Filling-Up Safely on the Road
Unique ID: 1b762be0-f375-40d8-8f0a-bfbac7f4d31f
Does your not for profit organization require employees or volunteers to spend hours on the road? If so, a simple stop at the roadside gas station can pose a risk to your organization. Though refueling is a common activity, it can easily turn into an extremely dangerous task. Not only can improper refueling cause burns, fires or explosions, but the gasoline or diesel itself is also a hazardous substance with the potential for leaks and spills.
No matter how much time your employees or volunteers spend in a vehicle or what kind of equipment you are required to refuel, safety always comes first. Ensure the members of your organization are aware of these helpful tips.
- Concentrate on the task at hand – don’t try to complete other tasks while refueling
- Stand by the tank, so you can act quickly if something goes wrong
- Don’t refuel while smoking or near any other open flames
- Don’t overfill the fuel tank – 95 percent full is a good guideline for any type of vehicle or container
- Never top off the tank
- Use only the hold-open latch provided on the pump
- Always turn off the engine when refueling any type of vehicle or equipment
When using a portable container:
- Place the container on the ground when refueling
- Use only approved containers
- After filling, wipe off the container and ensure the cap is secure and the air vent is tight
- Clearly mark refueling areas to avoid the possibility of accidents, spills or inadvertent ignition
- Clean up all spills immediately or mark off the area to reduce the possibility of slips
- Make sure there is a fire extinguisher available in the area before you begin refueling
In case of emergency:
If a fire or spark occurs during fueling, leave the nozzle in the vehicle and quickly get as far away as possible – attempting to remove the nozzle could worsen the situation. Use the emergency intercom at the station or the emergency shutdown button to stop the flow of fuel.
If you don’t have a fleet safety policy intact, Assurance can help protect your organization. Contact a representative today to get protected.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR