Unique ID: 4a0d5555-04fb-4780-8762-9a0b2b1581e4
Schaumburg, Ill. (April 5, 2016) – Imagine a hot dog buffet and casual dress for Major League Baseball’s Opening Day or renting out a Chicago craft beer staple – Revolution Brewery – for games, fun and appreciation. Think about ice skating indoors, flexible work hours, family-friendly 5Ks and getting a paid day off to volunteer. Does it sound like your typical insurance brokerage? Nope. And that’s the beauty of it. Assurance, a top 50 U.S. insurance brokerage, was recently named a 2016 Best Place to Work according to Crain’s Chicago Business. Assurance finished third overall and is the only insurance brokerage to make the list. Among a group of mostly swanky technology companies, Assurance stood out – and was ranked #1 – for working women over the age of 35.
This is Crain’s Chicago first-ever list of Best Places to Work for Women Under/Over 35 and ninth year for the Chicago Best Place to Work list. Businesses in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties with more than 50 full-time employees as of September 1 were eligible to participate. Buck Consultants, a global human resources consulting firm, developed two surveys – one for each company and another for employees. Over 190 local companies applied and 13,000 employees were surveyed.
In the eyes of employees, what makes Assurance a Best Place to Work, especially for women over the age of 35? According to Assurance president and 40 Under 40 winner, Liz Smith, it’s the 'ability to have both a family and career.' In fact, 47 percent of Assurance’s senior leadership team is made up of women.
Jordan Shea, Account Executive and mother of three young children, joined Assurance eight years ago because of its industry reputation and integrity. In addition to being promoted while pregnant, she’s currently in line to become a shareholder. Shea stated, "It will be a huge deal to me when I become an owner of a company whose values I believe in." Besides her client responsibilities, Shea helps oversee Assurance’s benefits plan, increasing paid maternity leave to eight weeks and instituting a one-week paid paternity leave. Smith also helped bring a second mother’s room to Assurance’s headquarters.
Assurance’s culture is geared towards both men and women of all generations and has landed the brokerage over 100 awards for client service and being a best place to work. Here is a sampling of some of those award-winning perks:
- Comprehensive benefits that include major medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short & long-term disability, long-term care and 401K company match
- New ‘penthouse’ equipped with walking desks and other fitness equipment
- Up to $500 in wellness-related reimbursements
- On-site biometric screenings for employees and their spouses
- Paid day off to volunteer through Assurance Caring Together
- Annual Employee Appreciation Day party
- Onsite fitness classes and a company 5K
- Telecommuting days
- Shared Success bonus opportunities for up to 2.5% of employees’ salaries for achieving shared corporate goals
- Start, Stop, Continue meetings, giving employees the chance to provide managers with feedback
- Quarterly happy hours and casinos
- Free onsite fruit and Starbucks coffee, as well as new employee, promotion and baby gifts
- Virtual high-fives and balloons for achievements
- In-house learning lunches and tuition reimbursement
To get a better understanding of Assurance’s unique culture and office environment, see the full rankings at chicagobusiness.com.
Assurance is among the largest and most awarded independent insurance brokerages in the U.S. A “Top 50” broker and repeated national “Best Place to Work” winner, Assurance creates value by minimizing risk and maximizing health for 6,000 businesses and individuals across the country. The company is headquartered in Schaumburg, IL with centralized office locations in Chicago, IL and St. Louis, MO. Visit Assurance at www.assuranceagency.com.